In an effort to continuously serve children and youth, Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area is providing distance-based, virtual programming, through which our agency staff will facilitate program activities through online platforms.
Virtual Programming will be scheduled in advance and displayed on BGCBigs.ca website. Leadership, health, physical activity, reading, tutoring, science, technology, engineering, math, arts, drivers education courses are just some of the categories of online learning your children/youth will be able to take part in.
Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area will use software, tools and applications provided by third parties that members, parents/guardians and/or staff will access via the Internet and use for purposes of communication and programming. These platform is G Suite, using the Google Meets, Google Classroom, Google Sites and Google Docs applications.
This letter seeks consent for your child to utilize G Suite for distance-based, virtual program purposes. Google provides the opportunity to deliver video and chat-based educational experiences to members via any device. Please be aware that each application collects different information about its users and has its own privacy terms and conditions to which members must adhere. Please review these carefully before registering your member.
In order to participate in virtual Club programming, you will need to provide the following:
- A computer, mobile, or tablet device with access to the Internet
- A quiet space at home in which members can participate in distance-based experiences under the supervision of an adult
- To register for google, you will need to provide some customer data, including but not limited to: your email address and first and last name.
We will use the online applications for the following program activities:
- Group chats
- Video conferencing
- Media sharing (for example, uploading images of artwork or other projects).
Our commitment to keeping the young people we serve safe is always our number one priority. We will actively monitor activity on google and will make every effort to protect your child/youth’s information by, among other things, maintaining control of, and access to, the data collected; prohibiting re-disclosure of member information; limiting the purposes for which the online platforms may use member information; ensuring there is no advertising and that no member information is collected for commercial purposes.
Further, all activities online must comply with Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area safety policies, including the information listed on the Consent for Provision of Service, Consent for Audio/Visual Recording and our Confidentiality Agreement, which are signed off on our membership forms. Additionally, our agency adheres to a strength-based behaviour management practices and virtual safety practices including:
- We will prohibit 1:1 contact between agency staff and members. This means 2 staff will be present for every online session. One staff will be the moderator of the chat and one will facilitate the session.
- Staff will only respond to families via email, text or phone between the hours 10:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- A new link for each program will be sent out weekly to families for each program.
- Staff will review online safety guidelines including prohibiting exchanging personal information during programs (ie email addresses, social media address(s) or locations of personal profiles, mobile numbers or any other personally identifiable information.
- Any online bullying will not be tolerated. Staff will respond quickly to any inappropriate behaviour online and follow up with parents/caregivers to ensure they are informed of the incident.
Please complete the form below to record your consent for your child’s use of G Suite.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Virtual Program Supervisor Susan.Lanteigne@bgcbigs.ca.