Overview: Are you an individual who has enjoyed connecting with people over the phone, online and through video chats? We are excited to share with you our Virtual Tutoring/Reading program. Children & Youth will be between the grades of 1-12. Mentors are asked to connect on line for 45-60 minutes once a week with their mentee for the current school year. Through virtual tutoring or reading, children and youth receive academic support related to math, science, literacy and any other related subject.
Over time, this helps children and youth meaningfully improve their academic skills and become more confident in these abilities.
Spend time with a mentee supporting their academic success.
Mentees: Anyone between the grades of 1-12. Mentees will log on virtually either from home or their school.
Mentors: Anyone over the age of 18
Minimum Commitment: 45-60 minutes each week during the school term.
Availability: Edmonton, Strathcona County, Parkland County, Lac La Biche, Morinville, and St. Albert
Where: Virtually through Zoom, or Google meets, or other agreed virtual platform.
What type of BGCBigs Volunteer are you?
What To Expect
- Ensure the safety of our children and youth and our volunteers.
- Work with you to match you with a young person or program where your interests and availability are considered.
- Assign a direct contact person to provide support and establish expectations and follow up requirements.
- Provide orientation and training so you know what to expect.
- Help you be successful!
- Build a special friendship with a young person and have fun together.
- Talk, listen, support, guide, encourage – believe in them and help them believe in themselves.
- Keep others informed about what you’re doing.
- Keep in touch with your staff contact person and ask questions as they arise. We also really like hearing about your experiences!
- Provide a safe, responsible environment for the child in your care.
- Be a mentor, a role model to a child
Step 1 – Application Form: Click here to submit your online application form. Please note we require three references so have those hand before you start.
Step 2 – Online Training: Click here. to complete your online training through the Alberta Mentoring Partnership.
Step 3 – In-Person Interview: We’ll contact you to set up an in-person interview where we’ll get to know you, learn why you want to mentor, and make sure you’re in the program that’s the best fit for your goals, skills, and lifestyle. The interview typically takes 2 hours. (Interviews are 1 hour for Behind the Scenes Volunteers)
Step 4 – In-Person Training: We’ll will contact you to set up your in-person training. Training typically takes 2 hours and we have multiple sessions available each week to fit your schedule. (This is not necessary for Behind The Scenes Volunteers)
Step 5 -Background Checks: After you come in for your interview/training, we’ll provide you with the paperwork to complete a Police Information Check and a Child & Family Services Check.
Step 5 – References: We’ll contact your references by phone or email.
Step 6 – Matching: We’ll contact you and let you know that you’re accepted! With our Bigs in the Community program it can take some time to match you to a child as we take care to make sure you’ll get along and have lots in common.
***It’s important to note that it can take up to 8 weeks to go through our application process and be matched with a child.**