Thinking about becoming a volunteer? If you care about kids, we’d love to have you join our BGCBigs family! Being a BIG isn’t about finding time for a child; it’s about inviting a child into the life you’re already living!
Who are our volunteers?
· People who care about the futures of children and youth
· People who want to make a difference
· People who want to share their time and experiences
· People who want to have fun and learn about themselves and others
We work directly with children and youth and our first priority is their safety; and yours as a volunteer. Every volunteer is assigned a direct contact staff person within the organization. This individual is here to support your development as a volunteer and in your mentoring relationship(s).
What kind of volunteer role is right for you?
When working closely with children and youth, it’s important to remember that the benefits seen are most powerful when consistency and friendship are present over time. With that in mind, please consider how your personal circumstances can accommodate these priorities when selecting a volunteer category. Throughout the application process, our team is here for you! We’ll personally explain the volunteer opportunities available and help you understand your options and what’s right for you. Click the link below to learn more about each opportunity.
· Build a special friendship with a young person and have fun together.
· Talk, listen, support, guide, encourage – believe in them and help them believe in themselves.
· Keep others informed about what you’re doing.
· Keep in touch with your staff contact person and ask questions as they arise. (We also really like hearing about your experiences!)
· Provide a safe, responsible environment for the child in your care.
· Work with you to match you with a young person or program where your interests and availability are considered.
· Assign a direct contact person and establish expectations and follow up requirements.
· Provide orientation and training so you know what to expect.
· Help you be successful.