Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters is a proud partner of All in for Youth.
This first-of-its-kind local initiative focuses on getting children and youth successfully through their education years and on to high school completion.
Education is the foundation for a bright future. But sometimes in life, challenges get in the way and extra support is needed. When students face personal, learning or family related difficulties it can reduce their chances of completing high school and increase their chances of continuing to struggle in the future.
All in for Youth brings together programs and services in a new way to help every child achieve their very best, by providing support to them and their families. By taking care of critical needs now, we stand a far better chance of helping them get through tough times, build skills and set children up for academic success.
FACT: 1 in 5 Edmonton students do not complete high school within 3 years
When families are struggling, they often lack funds or connections to get the help they need. All in for Youth combines the services of past programs – Partners for Kids, Schools as Community Hubs and Out of School Time. This new one-stop program is seeing schools, government, community partners, corporations and funding supporters working together to create the best environment for children to succeed.
All in for Youth supports children from Kindergarten through Grade 12 and is currently being piloted in five inner city demonstration schools where there is a high need for services:
• St. Alphonsus Elementary/Junior High
• John A McDougall Elementary
• Delton Elementary
• Spruce Avenue Junior High
• Eastglen High School
All in for Youth removes barriers to learning, helping students and families in five ways:
1. Ensuring all students are confident and accomplished in reading and writing;
2. Delivering nutrition support, mentoring and counselling, right in the school;
3. Offering before and after school programs, as well as programs during fall, spring and summer breaks;
4. Supporting families through counselling, community resources and adult education; and
5. Providing a positive school culture, with caring staff and high quality teaching.
THE GOAL: To see every child complete high school
All in for Youth is outcome driven and tied to specific academic performance. These foundational markers will help measure success:
• Kindergarten Readiness
• Grade 3 Reading Level
• Building Resiliency
• Successful Transition from Junior High to Senior High
• High School Completion
Building better futures means benefits for families and our community. Along with helping children succeed in school and helping their families get stronger, we will see many other benefits:
• Improved social equity for children facing barriers, including children who are indigenous, immigrants and refugees;
• Improved employability of youth and an elevated quality for our workforce;
• Contributions toward ending the cycle of poverty; and
• Reduced costs to taxpayers of remedial education, health care, social supports, etc.
Collaborating to Help Children Succeed
This innovative program is made possible through the dedication of social sector partners and municipal government – all committed to being All in for Youth and families:
• Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area
• City of Edmonton
• Edmonton Catholic Schools
• Edmonton Public Schools
• Edmonton Community Foundation
• The Family Centre
• Mental Health Foundation
• REACH Edmonton, Council for Safe Communities
• United Way of the Alberta Capital Region
You can help support the efforts of All in for Youth through donations and volunteering.
Location: See the map below all of our Club locations to find the one nearest you.
Kids Served: Children and youth who are attending one of our 5 schools are welcome at our clubs
Enrollment: Please connect with your school for details on enrollment.
For information on how you can provide financial support for the program, please visit myunitedway.ca or contact United Way of the Alberta Capital Region at 780-990-1000. For information on volunteering check out Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters volunteer programs – including Bigs in the Community, Bigs in Schools, Bigs in Clubs, and Graduation Bigs.We run 5 school-based after school programs that are safe and fun places for kids to go after school and during the summer. They provide kids with opportunities to connect with positive role models and peers, enjoy a healthy meal, and explore our core program areas: arts and culture, physical activity, health and nutrition, academic support, personal growth, empowerment, life skills, and leadership.