What type of BGCBigs Volunteer are you?
Questions? Book a Virtual Open House Session!
BGCBigs Volunteer Journey:
What To Expect
- Ensure the safety of our children and youth and our volunteers.
- Work with you to match you with a young person or program where your interests and availability are considered.
- Assign a direct contact person to provide support and establish expectations and follow-up requirements.
- Provide orientation and training, so you know what to expect.
- Help you be successful!
- Build a special friendship with a young person and have fun together.
- Talk, listen, support, guide, encourage – believe in them and help them believe in themselves.
- Keep others informed about what you’re doing.
- Keep in touch with your staff contact person and ask questions as they arise. We also really like hearing about your experiences!
- Provide a safe, responsible environment for the child in your care.
- Be a mentor, a role model to a child.
Submit your online application form below. Please note we require three references so have those hand before you start.
Complete your online training through the Alberta Mentoring Partnership below.
We’ll contact you to set up an in-person interview where we’ll get to know you, learn why you want to mentor, and make sure you’re in the program that’s the best fit for your goals, skills, and lifestyle. The interview typically takes 2 hours. (Interviews are 1 hour for Behind the Scenes Volunteers.)
We’ll will contact you to set up your in-person training. Training typically takes 2 hours and we have multiple sessions available each week to fit your schedule. (This is not necessary for Behind The Scenes Volunteers.)
After you come in for your interview/training, we’ll provide you with the paperwork to complete a Police Information Check and a Child & Family Services Check.
We’ll contact your references by phone or email.
We’ll contact you and let you know that you’re accepted! With our Bigs in the Community program it can take some time to match you to a child as we take care to make sure you’ll get along and have lots in common.
It’s important to note that it can take up to 8 weeks to go through our application process and be matched with a child.
Learn More at our
Volunteer Open House
Join our weekly Volunteer Virtual Open House! Running every Thursday from 1:00-2:00pm.