JOURNEY TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area. Ready to start and want to learn more about the process of becoming a mentor, follow the road map below!
Complete your online training through the Alberta Mentoring Partnership below.Complete Online Training
We’ll contact you to set up an in-person interview where we’ll get to know you, learn why you want to mentor, and make sure you’re in the program that’s the best fit for your goals, skills, and lifestyle. The interview typically takes 2 hours.
We’ll will contact you to set up your in-person training. Training typically takes 2 hours and we have multiple sessions available each week to fit your schedule. (This is not necessary for Behind The Scenes Volunteers.)
After you come in for your interview/training, we’ll provide you with the paperwork to complete a Police Information Check and a Child & Family Services Check.
We’ll contact your references by phone or email.
We’ll contact you and let you know that you’re accepted! With our Bigs in the Community program it can take some time to match you to a child as we take care to make sure you’ll get along and have lots in common.
BGCBigs Volunteers Change Lives.
The change is usually small at first. Summoning the courage to order their own meal at a restaurant or learning how to take deep breaths when they’re upset. But that change grows with the child. It becomes confidence and hope. It becomes improved grades in school and a high school diploma. It becomes an unwillingness to dabble in negative behaviours like drugs, alcohol, and bullying. And one day, that child becomes a successful, thriving adult.
Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters (BGCBigs) is so fortunate to have the help of over 3,000 caring volunteers. Without volunteers, children and youth wouldn’t have the tools and supports they need to become successful. Those tools and support come from our mentoring and after-school programs. Using those, we can provide children & youth with the healthy relationships and enriching experiences they need to understand their full potential and go out there and grab it. Our volunteers dedicate their time and efforts to spending time with a single child or a group of children or volunteering with us behind the scenes.
Interested in learning more?
Join our weekly Volunteer Virtual Open House! Running every Thursday 1-2 pm.
BGCBigs Volunteer Journey:
What To Expect
- Ensure the safety of our children and youth and our volunteers.
- Work with you to match you with a young person or program where your interests and availability are considered.
- Assign a direct contact person to provide support and establish expectations and follow up requirements.
- Provide orientation and training so you know what to expect.
- Help you be successful!
- Build a special friendship with a young person and have fun together.
- Talk, listen, support, guide, encourage – believe in them and help them believe in themselves.
- Keep others informed about what you’re doing.
- Keep in touch with your staff contact person and ask questions as they arise. We also really like hearing about your experiences!
- Provide a safe, responsible environment for the child in your care.
- Be a mentor, a role model to a child