community

Meet Your Everyday Hero

May 10, 2017

This story was written by the City of Edmonton. Giving back to the community is something Fadhl, a Transit Peace Officer with Edmonton Transit Service, takes to heart. Born in Syria, he has been living in Canada for 18 years and in our city for just over one year. He remembers what it was like…

Read More

Lac La Biche Mentoring

April 27, 2017

In a small town in northern Alberta, kids are experiencing the value of mentoring. Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) of Lac La Biche, a satellite office of BGCBigs, has been working to better the lives of children and youth for many years. According to Kristen Shewchuck-White, the local program facilitator, the community of just over…

Read More

National Volunteer Week 2017

April 24, 2017

Dear Volunteers, Happy National Volunteer Week!  We would like to thank each and every one of you for the difference you make in the lives of thousands of children across this community. At Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters (BGCBigs) we so often talk about how mentoring and after-school programs can change a…

Read More

Christmas Throwback – Local Company’s Spirit of Giving

February 14, 2017

Custom design firm California Closets has been donating to BGCBigs for the past five years. Jennifer VanTeeling the Sales Manager for the company was a Boys & Girls Club staff member while she was going to university. “When I was looking for work after university and after I left the Club, I still wanted to…

Read More

BGCBigs Staff Highlight: Match Facilitators

January 19, 2017

We spend a lot of time talking about the importance of our 3,000 volunteers, and rightly so. They are the ones on the ground spending time with kids and youth and their families to make a positive difference in our community. We are so proud of each and every volunteer and we truly cherish the…

Read More

Santa Clothes Came To Town!

November 28, 2016

November 6 was a special day for 100 of our community’s kids. For the first time anywhere in Canada, the Rotary Club of Edmonton West gave the gift of the holiday season to children in need of warm clothing. Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters partnered with four inner city Edmonton elementary schools…

Read More

A Lasting Impact

November 18, 2016

The community of McCauley was named after Edmonton’s first mayor and it is proud of its cultural diversity. It also happens to be a place where many families and individuals are struggling to make ends meet. That’s why EPCOR is working with Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters (BGCBigs) to make McCauley a…

Read More

A Different Kind of Campaign

October 26, 2016

The blog post below was written by our Fund Development Manager Danisha Bhaloo and was originally published on the Huffington Post Canada site. One year ago, I publicly announced my decision to run in the byelection for Edmonton City Council. It wasn’t an easy decision, considering I had a job that I adored and a…

Read More

Meeting Basic Needs

October 7, 2016

The Melton Foundation is a multi-generational foundation that was started in 1969 by Stan and Peggy Melton. “They wanted to share their success with those in need,” Teresa Melton, Managing Director of the foundation says. We are so grateful that the Melton Foundation has chosen to share its success with Boys & Girls Clubs Big…

Read More

A Night Of Awards

September 18, 2016

Tuesday, September 6th, 2016 was the Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters Annual General Meeting and Volunteer/Child Awards Night.  We were blessed with the attendance of City Councillors Scott McKeen and Mohinder Banga as well as Mayor Don Iveson, who helped us honour the individuals being awarded.  Mayor Iveson surprised us with a…

Read More